26 May, 2012
Adopt a University
Adopt a University is a program that aims to bring to bear the knowledge, experiences, resources and global networks of AES to promote excellence in higher education and scientific R&D in academic institutions in MENA . An interdisciplinary group of AES has committed to volunteer their time, expertise and services to work closely and assist a selected University from the region to achieve specific intrinsic objectives aimed at advancing the University’s strategic goals of establishing and/or enhancing educational and research programs. To help achieve these objectives, several fellowships will be offered to students and faculty from the host University to spend time in the AES home institutions/laboratories.
SASTA is prepared to assist institutions within the region with the following tasks
- Institutional and/or departmental Accreditation
- Strategic planning and preparing grants for national and/or regional funding agencies
- Facilitate networking and collaboration with international institutions and funding agencies
- Developing graduate programs
- Developing and delivering special courses in emerging fields
- Training of students
- delivering specialized courses locally
- hosting students and faculty at the AES home institution/laboratory
- Delivering special workshops on scientific writing and grant writing
- Organizing special conferences and workshops on topics of national interest and/or of interest to local faculty.
- Serving as members of advisory groups and institutional committee
SASTA is a community of established Arab scientists and academics from different disciplines working in the United States, Canada, Europe and the Arab world. Members of this group include leading scientists and educators, heads of departments, institute directors, university administrators, and CEOs of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
Participating Universities: Initially, the program will support one of the major or newly established national universities in the region to advance its mission and strategic objectives. The ultimate goal is to increase the participation of Arab scientists and extend this program to other universities in the region.
Selection Process: An open call for proposals will be announced to Universities in the region or within a specific country. The announcement will include the names, profiles and background of all the AES scientists participating in the program. Universities interested in the program will submit a proposal outlining
- the strategic goals of the university;
- how the AES-WEF could contribute to achieving these goals;
- detailed budget and iv) resources provided by the host institution.
The following criteria will be used to select the host university:
- The clarity of the proposal and defined objectives;
- the university’s commitment to the implementation of the program;
- potential impact of the proposed programs at the university, regional and national levels;
- resources committed by the host institution.