Dr. Dajani was invited to give a plenary talk on the Research careers of women. In her talk, Dajani shared the mentoring Programm she developed “ three circles of alemat”. This is a mentoring program for female scientists that are being implemented in Jordan, the Arab world and the globe.
This mentoring Programm aims to serve mid and early career scientists to help cope and have balanced work and personal life.
Dr. Dajani also shared information about the “We Love reading Program” because it contributes to gender action because We love reading trains women to become local leaders through reading aloud to the children’s books about the everyday life of the children and in the native language. Many of the children’s books focus on particular themes such as gender, disabilities, and the environment.
This mutual learning workshop is organized within the framework of the Horizon 2020 GENDERACTION Work Package 4, Mutual learning and capacity building and Work Package 6 Gender in international cooperation in STI. The workshop was held in Malta at the University of Malta from Nov 7-8, 2019.
The expected outcomes of the workshop are presenting recommendations to the European Commission and the Member States on gender in cooperation with third countries in Horizon Europe
The integration of gender perspective in dialogues with third countries in the area of STI is addressed in the 2015 Council Conclusions on Advancing Gender Equality in the European Research Area. A subsequent 2017 survey carried out among governmental civil servants and representatives of funding agencies in the EU Member States showed that the gender perspective is rarely integrated with international agreements and funding programs between the EU and non-EU countries. Furthermore, the representatives surveyed did not give high relevance to the issue.
To advance this issue, GENDERACTION decided to map the major gender-related concerns in STI in the non-EU countries and regions with a view to developing recommendations for the European Commission and the EU Member States.
Furthermore, it has developed a checklist for the integration of gender in international cooperation in STI and a policy brief on Gender-responsive international cooperation for Horizon Europe.
Objectives of the workshop
- Establish contacts and network on gender equality in STI globally
- Present and build upon the results of the survey carried out among representatives of women/ gender in research organizations in third countries in summer 2019
- Share experience on topics identified in the survey and examples of good practices
- Identify barriers that hinder greater involvement of women researchers from third countries in international cooperation in STI
- For representatives of European institutions to learn about the challenges to participation in cooperation with the EU in STI
- Develop recommendations for actions on gender and international cooperation in HorizonEurope, both for structural change/gender balance and gender in research content
- Representatives of gender/women in science networks in third countries
- GENDERACTION consortium members
- Members of the GENDERACTION Advisory Board on International Cooperation in STI
- Civil servants from third countries responsible for gender equality in research and/or
- international cooperation in research